Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) specialist Orbital Corporation Limited (ASX:OEC) has confirmed the establishment of a purpose built facility in the US to support its operations in that country.
The facility is located in Hood River, Oregon, in close proximity to the operational base of key Orbital customer Insitu-Boeing.
Orbital’s Managing Director and CEO, Todd Alder said securing an exclusive lease over the new facility is an important and positive milestone in the company’s UAV Business.
Securing this priority location for our business marks a significant milestone for the company and underpins Orbital’s UAV vision and US market growth strategy,” Mr Alder said.
“We have been looking for the right property for Orbital’s needs for some time. Securing an exclusive long term lease over a new purpose built facility in such a highly sought after location in Hood River is a fabulous outcome. Leasing the facility represents a significant capital saving for Orbital and provides flexibility which matches our growth ambitions.”
Mr Alder said Orbital’s new facility will expand the company’s UAV propulsion system assembly and support activities and establish engine development and testing capabilities in the US.
1 UAV Propulsion System Builds and Overhauls:
- Propulsion system and sub-system assembly;
- Propulsion system testing in dedicated engine run-cells;
- Sub-system testing, including pressure and flow testing;
- Detailed inspection and metrology of components.
2. UAV Engine Development:
- Engine development and validation testing on both propellers and dynamometers;
- Altitude engine testing simulating conditions associated with flying high altitudes up to 20,000ft;
- Environmental testing, including running engines at temperatures from -22degF to +140degF.
Orbital will be the primary and exclusive tenant of a new purpose built facility which is expected to be ready for occupation in February 2018.
The company has a five year lease with an option to extend for two further terms of five years each.